>
Block of Houses in the Street Između polača 28-32
Block of Houses in the Street Između polača 28-32

Area: 400m2
Duration of works: August 1987. – July 1988.
Cost: 547.706,91 US $

Design made by: Dunja Janjić, arch.., GP"Dubrovnik"
Contractor: GRO "Dubrovnik"
Supervision: Aleksandar Čučić, arch., Institute for the Restoration of Dubrovnik
Construction foreman: Ante Vitasović, civil engineering technician


Three houses connected in a row are located between the streets Između polača, Placa, Božidarevićeva and Široka. They present a row of typical municipal objects that have business spaces in the ground floor with main entrance from Placa and storage entrance from the street Između polača. That entrance also serves entering to the upper floors with residential purpose.

These three houses known to us today were done by rebuilding after the 1520 and 1667 earthquakes while the traces of previous centuries are visible in fragments and recognizable in parcelling.

This row of municipality houses is interesting today in the contemporary building and still actual model in the way of organizing residential and business objects: business spaces orientated to the main street Placa and the entrances to the residential parts placed from side more intimate street Između polača. This model of house building is repeated around the whole City.

Construction of these objects was damaged in the earthquake of 1979 and after the conservators' directions and research works the working design was made so that renovation started in 1987.

In terms of conservators' directions it was established the vertical three-part division according to existing border walls; floors were linked up by one-arm staircase in its original form and position; the kitchen was also returned back to its original place on the third floor.

Commercial spaces were reshaped in six specialized shops respecting existing entrances. The house no. 32 was arranged as a memorial house-museum of Dubrovnik's writer Ivo Vojnović.

Construction of the object was strengthened by reinforced-concrete entresol slabs and transversal bearing reinforced concrete walls which thickness was decreased towards upper floors. The existing wooden roof construction is replaced by the new one.

Renovation ended in August 1988