>
The Granary Rupe
The Granary Rupe

Area: 1.263 m2
Duration of works: December 1987. – October 1989.
Cost: 1.694.469,28 US $

Design made by: Pero Jemo, arch.., Marko Farac, C.E., PB"Arhitekt",Dubrovnik
Interior design by: Ivan Prtenjak, arch.
Contractor: GRO "Građevinar”
Nadzorni inženjer: Aleksandar Čučić, dipl.inž.arh., ZOD
Rukovoditelj gradilišta: Ante Vitasović, građ. teh.


The granary Rupe is a monumental three-storey building with the fourth underground level for grain silos. It is interpolated in the medieval residential area of the former town's district Kaštio. In the depth of about 8,5 to 9 metres in stone, 15 silos for grain were hollowed out with the capacity of 1500 tonnes. It is a unique public husbandry building of the 16th century which has been highly evaluated inside the historic centre of Dubrovnik due to its preserved function and space disposition that clearly interprets the technology of delivery, drying, deposit and preservation of grain.

The granary was built by a master from Apulia between 1548 and 1590. Apart from some recent interventions in the attic and a construction of an annex to the north facade in the 19th century, the building has been preserved in its original form.

In the 1979 earthquake the construction was damaged. After the research works before the renovation project of 1988, it was decided to present the granary as a cultural monument with its complete utilitarian function; it should hold the museum presentation of the building's history and in the same time serve for the exhibition of the ethnographic collection of Dubrovnik's Museums. According to the plans the renovation of the building began. In the ground floor and the first floor no constructive or building interventions were undertaken. The recent high attic was altered to get the second floor entirely identical to the first floor in regard to its construction and the space disposition. The primary construction of the attic and the roof is of reinforced-concrete and the secondary one is of high-quality timber. This way, together with the smaller neighbouring structure, the space for the Ethnographic Museum was obtained. The works on the reconstruction of the granary Rupe started in December 1987 and were completed in 1989 when the layout of the Ethnographic Museum was opened for public.