>
Primary School
Primary School

Area: 1.576 m2
Duration of works: September 1986. – October 1987.
Cost: 2.208.672,14 US $

Design made by: Branko Silađin, arch., "Interinženjering",Zagreb
Contractor: GP "Dubrovnik"
Supervision: Aleksandar Čučić, arch.,Institute for the Restoration of Dubrovnik
Construction foreman: Stijepo Benić,C.E.



The primary school's building is a baroque structure built after the earthquake of 1667 above the remains of mediaeval residential buildings surrounded by the streets Miha Pracata from the east and Gučetićeva from the north side. It is connected by a narrow bridge to a large open space of school garden that emerged after caving in the whole mediaeval block of three rows and the street which was proved by systematic archaeological researches.

From the south side of the palace there were storage rooms which were converted and annexed for the needs of the primary school and included in the volume and function of the school. This interpolation completely solved the function and the new volume was successfully united with the existing palace though the new part of the building was clearly separated from the old part in regard to the conservators' principles.

In the first phase the renovation and adding of the palace was solved and in the second phase the building and arranging of space on the place of archaeological findings. The school got the gym and the open playground. In the south part of the locality on the discovery of modest gothic houses with remains of walls in the ground floor's level, it is created a small archaeological park as a constituent part of the school playground.

Renovation and building of this complex was initiated by damages of the earthquake in 1979 an Implemental urban plan of possible adding. It was an important revitalization project to revive the City and return primary school's children in the City but it developed into a first-class cultural project which successfully incorporated the function of school and the archaeological site.

Primary School – The Second Phase

After the end of research works in the large garden from the west side of the school that arose on the embanking of demolished residential blocks after the 1667 earthquake, the experts' opinion was to conserve the remains of small Gothic houses in the south part of the garden and present them in the function of the school courtyard. In the northern part of the garden where traces of mediaeval residential houses were found the school hall was planned. The general design for execution the second phase of building at this locality was done in 1987 and the main project was finished in 1989.

The second phase also includes the construction of the school hall and school courtyard which began in 1990 and stopped by the war destruction of Dubrovnik. As the building was completely in reinforced-concrete execution during the war bombardment of Dubrovnik it served as the bomb shelter. After the war the finishing works were done on the roof of the hall and the children playground without participation of the Institute for Restoration of Dubrovnik. Later the archaeological garden was completed which was functionally integrated as a constituent part of the school. It enriches the school and the City facilities from the cultural and aesthetic point of view.