Arhaeological Site Pustijerna
Arhaeological Site Pustijerna

The archaeological site is located at the south-eastern part of the City on the sloping ground .

It is bordered by the street Ispod mira from the south, by the street Od Pustijerne from the north, by the Kabužić and Sorkočević's palaces from the west and by the street Stajeva from its eastern side. The site has 1600 square metres. Systematic archaeological researches were performed in the period from 1984 till 1987. The discovered remains date from the 12th century and they were demolished in the earthquake of 1667. They were not repaired and the site was used as a building-waste dump.

The central, stone-paved street divides the whole site in two blocks. The western part is regular and with the existing palaces it forms a typical double residential row with a sewage canal in the middle. The eastern part is irregular with remains of a monastery and traces of numerous reconstructions, outside staircases and different levels of residential objects' remains which witness a typical mediaeval city's division into plots.

It was invited the public international tenders for the architectural and urban solution of this site. Three most successful competitors, who respected the discovered dimensions to the utmost, elaborated the project by the directions of the Expert Advisory Board for the restoration of Dubrovnik. A complete implemental documentation was made for interpolation of residential rows and reconstruction of the Renaissance palace.

As the realization of the interpolation project and reconstruction at this site will not be possible for the certain time, it is necessary to do conservation and consolidation of the findings' remains.

In the process of elaboration is; a study of architectural survey – digital one and completion of filming, the implemental project of protection, conservation and consolidation of the findings with estimate of costs as well as a preliminary project for temporary arranging of the site. The works started in November 2009 and they are planned to be finished during 2010.