Design made by : Petar Kušan, arch., APZ "Plan" Zagreb, Dražen Aničić,C.E.Ph.D., IGH Zagreb
Contractor:: GP "Dubrovnik"
Supervision: Jurica Carić, arch., Jure Baletić, C.E.,Institute for the Restoration of Dubrovnik
Construction foreman: Marko Kovačević, C.E.
Rector's Palace is among the most representative buildings within the historic centre of Dubrovnik.
It is located on the eastern part of the City close to the city harbour, beside the largest transversal city street opposite to the Cathedral. Its present look was defined by reconstruction done after the disastrous Great Earthquake of 1667 when its Gothic and Renaissance parts got Baroque elements. Later in the 19 and 20th centuries significant alterations disrupted the stylistic unity of the object. On the place of Rector's Palace some defensive structures were built much earlier than it was mentioned in the Statute of the 13th century. The defensive building in the 15th century was transformed in a representative palace. The architect Onofrio della Cava defined its ground floor structure which remained till today as well as the building outline of the middle courtyard surrounded by porch. From the same period there are halls of Great, Small Councils and the Senate, the rector's apartment, courtroom, offices, prisons, armoury etc. After 1463 the palace was repaired from explosion and after 1520 from the earthquake. The palace had many alterations, got new Renaissance decorations and many old shapes were replicated.
After the earthquake in 1979 the Rector's Palace was categorized among the most damaged buildings with severely damaged construction. It was recorded the separation of bearing walls from the entresol construction and the main facade leaned forward. Beside static renovation the recent walls were also pulled down as they disrupted the stylistic integrity of the palace. The ceilings and floors were presented. Constructive renewal was performed by building-in the reinforced-concrete ring beams in the zones of ceilings and foundations and by executing diagonal ties and ties along the bearing walls, reinforced-concrete slabs in ceilings of northwest and southwest towers. It was also executed a vertical seismic dilatation towards the municipality building.
Renovation included all building, handicraft and restoration works and the Rector's Palace was adopted for museum facilities to make permanent exhibitions of Dubrovnik Historic Museum. Its unique atrium is continuously used as an open music stage of the City.